Pages

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Assignment 2- My research


As I walked into the library I was thinking to myself, What freaking topic will I choose to do my research paper on. So I began to search Hispanic immigrants and found tons of information, but then it hit me! Why do a research paper on something I already know about? So I decided that I want to research Chinese Immigration in the 1800's to 1900's. I go to Google, and type in "Chinese", and the suggestion on my search bar said "Chinese immigrants in San Francisco", that's when I knew that this is the right topic for me.

I found 3 websites that seem to be very informative. The first one I found gave me a brief overview of Chinese immigration. As I started reading I became more and more interested in this topic for some reason. I feel like such a nerd by saying that but oh well. In my findings I learned that the Chinese were the first Asian immigrants to enter the U.S. The first documentations began in the 18th century. I did not realize how long the Chinese have been in the U.S and it's amazing that they've survived struggles through out all these years. Large-Scale immigration began in the mid 1800's due to the California Gold Rush. Despite Chinese immigration increasing the Chinese population began to fall drastically because of laws like the Chinese Exclusion Act. The first Chinese immigrants were well and widely received by Americans because they were wealthy, successful merchants, along with skilled artisans, fisherman, hotel and restaurant owners. In the first few years the Chinese were greatly accepted by the public, government officials, and especially employers for they were renowned for their hard work and dependability. The picture shown is a picture I found on one of the websites I looked at. The picture is of a Chinese immigrant hugging a bottle of whiskey and at the bottom it has a message. It says that they Chinese should embrace civilization and they may stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment